Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Hard to Let Go?

I'm listening to Christmas music.



It's January 3rd. The New Year has been rung in, the stockings taken from the mantel, the halls undecked and the tree undressed and left for dead at the curb. It's time to say "Goodbye" to Christmas.

Not for me. For me, I hang on. Hang on past my birthday (the 6th) and, if I'm capable, then some.

It might just be because I've spent the last 6 weeks waking up at the butt crack of dawn and doing the exact same thing - turning on my computer and listening to the iTunes radio station Winterscapes while drinking a cup of coffee and waiting for my brain to adjust to a state of semi-coherent wakefulness, and I'm just not willing to let go of that yet. But I've always seemed to want to hang on to Christmas...just a little bit longer.

The soft lights. The cheerful music. The brisk, crisp brush of cold air fighting its way against the warmth of fragrant pies in the oven. Sugar never tasted so flavorful, turkey and stuffing so delightful, potatoes so sticky and buttery and filling and warm. I couldn't ask for a better 4-6 weeks of the year (depending on who you ask). Who wants winter without Christmas? The cold just turns biting, coffee's bitter without spice...the cocoa...just another chocolate drink.

Friends gather, families fight, humanity hits the streets in their cars and try to strangle one another, day after day through the year. But at Christmastime we do it with a smile, a special sparkle in our eyes, and a glorious song in our hearts with a sentimental hope for Someday's peace.

Oh Melancholy Heart of mine, be patient for another 330 days when you can be of good cheer again.

Although, my birthday is coming right up...


No comments: